Saturday, August 12, 2017

Sew....I DID it!!

For the past 2 years I have looked at seat pockets and thought I'd really need like to have some of those beauties for the classroom.  I've also thought there is no way I can pay that much for those.  

I've sewn something once before so I thought "I really think I could do this."  Well, just as summer is wrapping up and I am running out of time to get things done I've decided to start this project.
You're not allowed to examine them closely AND honestly, they are a hot mess.  I'm praying they last at least half way through the school year.  If you think they look like a mess I will tell you it's "Shabby Chic". 😉

I used Archer All Stars video to help me as I went through this little project.  She has a video that walks you through how to do this but on a smaller scale.

If you're dying to take on this project yourself I say "Go For It"!

Hopefully you can use what I did and didn't do to help you.

I didn't practice on scrap material first....dumb.  So after I messed up 2 pieces I got smart and thought....I should practice on scrap.

I actually had scrap material in the colors that I use in my classroom so since my practice seat pocket turned out nice okay it is now on my teacher seat.  I think it will make a great sub seat pocket filled with all the little things that a sub may need, for example: nurse slips, behavior tickets, treats, timers or anything else that is small and helpful. ;-)

I would not recommend using regular fabric material for the students.  I just don't think that they will last or be durable enough.

I purchased a canvas drop cloth from Home Depot to use as my student seat pockets.  It's thick and strong and exactly what is needed for kids.

Click here 
I just purchased ONE and really needed TWO.  The second one I bought was from Wal-mart and I don't think it feels as strong as the Home Depot material.  So I may regret this by Christmas if they even last that long.

I cut my pieces 19 inches in width and 36 inches in length.  I folded one pocket to be 10 inches deep and the pocket that sits on the chair to be be 8 inches deep. I ironed my pieces and pinned them before I ever started sewing.

The plan is for the students to use these for their journals and folders.  I will update later in the school year to let you know how they go.

Have a sweet day!

No comments:

Post a Comment